When a Slip and Fall Lawyer Is a Necessary Resource
A slip and fall can occur in various places like private or public places, on a city sidewalk or a store aisle. Businesses are not liable for any injury to its customer unless the enterprise or its employees failed to meet a legal duty of care. A customer in the eyes of the law is anyone who has been invited by the business for commercial purposes.
There are four general categories in which such accidents fall into:
- Trip and fall - this is when there are foreign objects on the walkway that are not supposed to be there
- Stump and fall - when there is an obstacle on the way such as a line that runs across the road
- Step and fall - when there is a hole on the surface
- Slip and fall - when there is no friction between the surface and the floor, e.g., when the floor is wet or greasy.
When a slip and fall accident happens in a business environment, it usually falls under the category of premises liability because they are caused by the owners negligence. Results of negligence include:
- Damaged paths and walkways that lead to the business
- Improperly maintained stairways, such as missing handrails or slippery steps
- Inadequate lighting
- Poorly marked danger zones
- Failure to remove snow and ice on the ground
- Walkways with debris and clutter
Slip and fall accidents can be very dangerous, and anyone involved should seek medical attention immediately. Common injuries include:
- Concussion or brain injury:
This happens when the victim hits their head on an object due to the fall
- Neck and spine injuries due to the impact from the ground.
- Damaged wrists and elbows, which occur when people put their arms out during a fall
- Damage to the lower back
- Displaced hip joints
When an accident occurs on business grounds, it is important to file an accident report and take pictures of the place where the accident took place.
After a slip and fall accident, it is highly advisable that you talk to a slip and fall lawyer in order to establish your potential case. An experienced lawyer will have the proper knowledge of the obligations entrusted to the property owner. The lawyer will also advocate on your behalf when it comes to claiming compensation from the insurance company.